My resume is also available in PDF form.
I work in the traditional and computerized web, gallery, print, training and presentation markets for local firms, multinational corporations and federal government agencies. My award-winning projects include website consulting, design, creation, and maintenance; developing dynamic content management systems; traditional and digital illustration; gallery work; graphic design; presentation production; and writing. My focus is on delivering products that stand out in the marketplace, attract business, represent the client positively, are attractive to the user, and close sales.
I have an active TS/SCI security clearance with a full scope polygraph.
EXPERIENCE – GENERAL
Since 2015: Maps creation and data ingest, analysis, and display.
Since 1994: Developing and leading and working across government and commercial teams to guide users in formulating requirements, how to meet with customers, advise on alternative approaches, and estimate resource requirements for software tasks for inclusion into project budget and schedule.
Since 1993: Designing, developing, building, and maintaining web-based and databased applications, including flat-file and relational databases, and back-end database architectures.
Since 1993: Developing commercial, federal corporate, and Intelligence Community-wide internal and public web sites.
Tools include ESRI ArcMap, SpringSource Tool Suite, JIRA, Confluence, Eclipse, Maven, Plone, Movable Type, WordPress, Dreamweaver, Microsoft Office, Camtasia Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, Flash, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Premiere, AfterEffects, QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office, Corel Painter, STK (Satellite Tool Kit), Google SketchUp, Python for content management, and DAZ Studio.
EXPERIENCE – GEOPSPATIAL MAPS DATA ENGINEER
Creating maps, charts and electronic visualizations from user-supplied spreadsheets and other data files. Analyzing and normalizing data among formats for ingest. Creating useable, approachable visuals in electronic and print formats.
EXPERIENCE – INTERFACE DESIGN ENGINEER
Employing human factors engineering activities such as graphical user interface requirements analysis; human-computer function/job/task analysis; leading the scenario-based engineering process; graphical user interface design and layout; web design and development, including use of wire frames and cascading style sheets; rapid prototyping of user interfaces; user interface usability evaluations; project documentation; user training; and human-computer performance analysis.
EXPERIENCE – GRAPHIC DESIGNER/ ILLUSTRATOR
Since 1988, designing, developing, illustrating, executing, and distributing logos, posters, brochures, books, pamphlets, fliers, and briefing boards for commercial and government entities, including internal and public web sites, documents, promotional videos, training materials, and presentations. Clients include Department of Defense, CIA, DIA, the US Congress, the US President, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Lockheed Martin, Hughes Network Systems, Booz Allen Hamilton, Scitor, A&P Foods, and commercial design firms.
Since 1993, developing and leading and working within government and commercial teams to develop graphics for web-based applications for content management systems, registration sites, software programs, conferences, and corporate advertising, training, sales and systems. Deliveries often required meeting with the customer to derive requirements and provide solutions under real-time, accelerated, or overnight timelines.
Since 1993, designing and developing graphics in support of government and commercial web pages, training presentations and sites, and applications, including banners, web animations, web graphics, and static and interactive web sites.
Since 1988, creating print and presentation products using traditional methods such as drawing, inking, airbrush and painting; and design and layout using digital tools.
Many years’ experience working in Sun OS, UNIX, NeXT, Silicon Graphics, Mac OS, and Windows environments.
Geospatial Designer, Booz Allen Hamilton / Nov 2015 – May 2016
- Create dozens of digital and large-format print maps from user-supplied data.
- Normalize and optimize data for conversion into maps.
- Use data visualization tools and concepts to convert the data into effective maps using Microsoft Word and Excel, ESRI ArcGIS, and Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Disseminate the maps via websites, PDF files, and large-format prints.
Senior Graphic Designer, iConsulting Group, Inc. / Jul 2014 – Nov 2015
- Create signage, tickets, name tags, posters, brochures, graphics, illustrations, presentations, and web sites for dozens of programs, conferences, and events.
- Create wireframes and digital mockups of the National Cryptologic School website based on user feedback, which I delivered to the web team for implementation.
- Create and maintain documentation.
Interface Design Engineer, Commonwealth Technology, Inc. / Jan 2005 – Jan 2014
- Consult, create, and maintain a threat matrix application and associated web sites, blogs, help systems and wikis.
- Create dozens of presentations and illustrations related to the project.
- Train customers to use the software.
- Document the tools.
Consultant, ADG Creative / Mar 2003 – Jan 2005
Create many graphics, static and animated presentations, and wikis for real-time threat response teams.
Senior Web Designer, Aquent / Mar 2000-Feb 2003
Independent consultant. Create and brief on print, interactive, and web-based projects for dozens of small and large companies ranging from two-person design studios to LMI and Hughes Network Systems.
Technical Director and Art Director, Department of Defense / Dec 1987-Feb 2000
- Create and maintain networks, servers, and databases for multimedia division.
- Technical director over the graphics, photo, TV, presentation, web and illustration departments.
- Art director over the graphics department.
- Set up the web team.
- Purchase software and hardware.
- Install and maintain computers, network cables and gear, professional-grade printers, and mail, database, storage, and backup servers.
- Create dozens of websites and hundreds of presentations, print products, and illustrations.
1976: Associate Degree, Art and Design, Ricks College, Rexburg, ID
- 2008: STK (Satellite Tool Kit) training
- 2008: Plone (Content Management System) training
- 1997: Design for the World Wide Web
- 1996: Publish on the World Wide Web
- 1995: Introduction to “C” Programming 1995: Advanced DOS
- 1995: LAN Management
- 1979-1981: Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
See my list of gallery shows and competitions.